Friday, May 18, 2012

Gift from Michael for Mother's Day

"My mom is great because she took me to Star Trek: The Experience."

This is one of the pages in the book that Michael made me for Mother's Day at his school. We did go there in 2008 in the last week it was in operation. Maddox and I had a great time there and I was really happy to see that he still remembered it.

Currently, Michael is doing well. He is making progress and he's stable. Other friends of mine who have schizophrenic children aren't faring so well. I wish we had the infrastructure to help all families who have children with severe mental illness.

Back to Michael. We went to the park last weekend. We went to a park on Saturday that was close to our house, and then another on Sunday after we ate out. Michael made appropriate choices and he was able to find another child to play with at the first park. That child gave him a can of sprite (there was a birthday party going on and the child was invited.) They played together for almost 2 hours and I was standing there just so happy that he has this ability now. He didn't have it even 6 months ago. Seeing his rapid progress at his amazing school is just, heartbreaking in the best way.

Now, if I can just get him to put his clothes away...

No comments:

Post a Comment